Football season is just around the corner which means lots of munching in front of the TV. Here is a healthy alternative to a not so nutritious favorite... potato skins!
Potato Skin Ingredients:
4 small sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Guacamole & Toppings:
1 ripe avocado
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
⅛ teaspoon salt
¼ cup chopped tomato
2 tablespoons minced red onion
Chopped cilantro for garnish
PREP: 25 Minutes I COOK TIME: 2 Hours
Preheat oven to 400°F.
1. Tightly wrap sweet potatoes in foil and place on a baking sheet. Roast until very tender, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Carefully unwrap and set aside to cool.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh, leaving a ¼-inch border (save the scooped-out flesh for another use). Place the sweet potato halves skin-side up on the prepared baking sheet. Brush with oil and sprinkle with kosher salt.
4. Bake until browned and crisp, 20 to 30 minutes.
5. Cut each skin in half widthwise and return to the baking sheet, skin-side down. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon Cheddar.
6. Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, make the guacamole: Mash avocado in a medium bowl. Stir in lime juice, garlic and salt.
8. Top each sweet potato skin with guacamole, tomato, onion and cilantro, if desired.
Find more about this recipe at EatingWell!